AuditionRound One: Recluse's GambitRound Two: A Light Shining in DarknessRound Three: Up and Over and OutRound Four: Can't Look Away
And you thought this would never appear! I'm not as happy as I could be about how it turned out, but I'm satisfied enough with the appearance to upload it now.And yes I had to eyeball the pose and appearance from a reference because I can't draw dogs very well
For what it's worth I've probably tripled my knowledge of canines just by doing a tad of research. I'm not exactly the biggest dog buff out there, y'know?Speedpaint video
Breed: Border collie
Height: 2' 1"
Length: 2' 4”
Weight: 32 pounds
Fur: Dark brown-black/light gray
Eyes: Sky bluePhysical-
Erx is a medium aged dog with an exhausted look and unfathomable blue eyes. His brown fur obscures a cluster of puncture scars on his chest, which ache painfully at times. The flesh of the base of his left ear is punctured, occasionally causing it to droop. Most of his teeth are still intact, although those in the back of his mouth are starting to yellow. One of his front incisors is chipped.
Erx is not exactly a fighter. He prefers to escape danger before it begins by taking advantage of his peculiar sight, which can gleam through thin walls to detect the presence of other moving things. Whilst doing so he must concentrate and gaze intently at the barrier. Yellow glows soon appear which indicate movement. He cannot sense things that are standing dead still, nor can he sense inanimate objects (unless they are in motion). The effect of this uncanny sight extends to viewing through darkness, which requires little effort and grants him a moderate cone of sight.
The means by which he senses the unseen is unclear. It would seem that he has a very primitive sort of below-visible light sensitivity, although this does not explain how motion relates to perception. Part of this ability stems from his acute hearing, and if he is deafened he has trouble pinpointing objects.Personality:
Erx has a surprising wit, given his "slow" look. However, he is absolutely crippled in the social sense. He stutters badly and speaks with poor pronunciation. While he understands a respectable number of words, he cannot always express them to others. This had led to more than one incident that ended in violence. He can easily offend another by confusing what he wants to say with what he actually says. The dog has a dim sense of written language, picked up from his short time in captivity. He can scrawl words, however misspelled, into the ground.
Erx is an insomniac, wandering the streets at night and day alike. At times he will sleep for less than four hours a day, which severely hampers his reflexes and coordination. He seems to wander in an attempt to find something, but what that something is cannot be determined.
Due to his physical weakness, he prefers to hide away from danger as stated above. Several years of close scrapes have left him wary of every scrap of concealment within a stone's throw, any of which could contain danger waiting to strike. For this reason he moves slowly and cautiously wherever he travels.History:
Erx's knowledge of his own past is limited to a short period in captivity followed by a murky escape. He wandered for miles, gradually winding towards the desolate city of Pripyat. He arrived there as one of the many tournaments began its swan song, exposing him to the gritty existence of the gray maze. The experience was disconcerting enough that he refrained from familiarizing himself with the other dogs, pressing him into a category of an outcast who never was.Strengths:
- Can gleam through many barriers and through darkness out to a moderate range
- His keen hearing leads to an acute wariness for danger
- Physically weak and somewhat fragile
- Poor grasp of speaking- socially crippled
- Often weary for want of rest
- Easily dazzled by light and sound
- Gentle quiet (but not dead silence)
- Loud rackets
- He covets the rusted name-tag attached to his collar, although it seems to have fallen off.
- His eyes catch light more readily than most, giving him the cat's-eyes effect at night
- Unlike most dogs, he lacks red colourblindess. In fact, red appears unusually saturated to his eyes<li>When he wanders, he seems to search for his former master
- Humor rarely affects him, whilst intimidation easily sways his vulnerable mind
- His name was once "Rex", but he has confused the order of the letters and considers his name to be "Erx"
- He was once deafened as a pup by a temporary illness and suffers a dire phobia of complete silence. The experience left him temporarily numb to his environment, robbing him of much of his perception
- If Erx were to be struck blind, by the contrary, he could continue to sense the general whereabouts of creatures and the shape of his environment
- His speech sounds like a mixture of Slavic and Russian tongues, although this accent is buried under his slurred dialect
- He prefers to learn appearances rather than names and will frequently refer to others by their physical traits, rather than their name.